Thursday, August 26, 2010

Track Workout - 8/25/10 6.4 miles 01:18

How's that for some speed work?  Last night's workout was AWESOME.  The weather was decent, about 75 degrees and not humid, which I think was a huge help.  I was also really trying to have a deliberately positive attitude, more often than not I think it's my mental defeatist state that makes these workouts suck so much.

As usual Ameenah and I ran together, she really has been my rock throughout this program and I don't know what I'd do without her.  Our 12:30 group has really fallen apart, which is pretty sad.  Some people have been AWOL for a while now, possibly having dropped out altogether.  Some of the 12:30s decided they can run faster, some slower, Ameenah and I are pretty much right around 12:30/12:45 on a good long run day.

We did the warm-up lap around campus, about 1.25 miles, a little slower than usual but probably because we went the opposite way this time which is a little hillier.  I was worried that would ruin my performance for the remainder of the workout but it turns out I had nothing to worry about.  The workout was to be 4X1600 at 40-60 seconds faster than LSD pace with a recovery lap in between.  We're not too good with figuring out what that means so we did four miles with a walking recovery lap (most groups jog, we tend to walk) in between each mile.  I think knowing we had those recoveries coming was a huge mental boost, we OWNED those miles.  During the 20 miler Coach Carol said a steady run/walk program got her through her fastest marathon ever, maybe there is something to that after all. 

Overall pace, including 3/4 mile walking, was 12:12.  Because of those recovery laps I don't have a real good idea of how fast we did the actual running but Ameenah was smart and kept track, we were around, if not a bit under 11 minutes per mile.  That's pretty speedy!  And we didn't feel awful, we felt a little tired at the end of each mile but overall really good.  I did the last .4 miles at a 10:46, that's really good for me especially at the end of a tough workout.  We absolutely felt like rock stars at the end.  We haven't had a group run that encouraging since the last sixteen miler a few weeks ago.  REALLY needed that boost!

No comments:

Post a Comment