Monday, June 7, 2010

Who I am and why I'm running a marathon

If you're here you probably know who I am but in case you just stumbled upon this blog let me introduce myself - I'll leave this post up here at the top for a while. They call me Rob, I'm a 30 year old (woman, yes) living in Maryland with my wonderful husband and two Great Danes.  In July 2009 I decided to take up running and began the Couch to 5k program, finishing up in September.  On October 4th I ran my first 5k, Page's Run in Potomac, MD.  I followed that with three more 5ks - the Home Run, the SOME Trot for Hunger on Thanksgiving Day, and the Candy Cane City 5k hosted by the MCRRC.  On April 25th I completed my first 10k, running down Rockville Pike in the Pike's Peek race.  I haven't clocked any fast times, heck I haven't even finished in the top half, but I've had a great time doing it.

I am clearly a beginning runner but in April I decided to tackle a big challenge - running the Marine Corps Marathon in DC on October 31, 2010.  Knowing I could never make it on my own, let alone safely and relatively injury free, I joined the MCRRC's First Time Marathon Program.  Since May 9th we've been running as a group on Sundays and Wednesdays, this blog will follow my journey through the training program.  Look for a post soon recapping what we've done so far.  I run at least one other day a week (working up to two) but that's usually not very interesting or noteworthy.

Running outside on hot, sticky, humid days is no fun.  But you know what I bet is even less fun?  Having cancer.  I may suffer through the miles but there are millions of people suffering every day, for that reason I have chosen to run for the American Institute for Cancer Research.  I have committed to raising at least $1000 for cancer education, support and research (so far I have $105!).  So follow me as I run for those we've lost and those we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment